8.11.2005

Bear with me, I'm a musician"

Hahaha! That quote comes from a baseball cap they sell here at the Bear Valley Music Festival. I thought it was really cute, but I couldn't very well picture myself wearing a baseball cap that said that. Too much rolling of the eyes from my friends (as well as the general public), I would expect. I'm in the middle of my second week here in Bear Valley. I've taken over my housemate's computer (with which we were able to tap into some nearby cabin's wireless internet -- huzzah!) while she is practicing in her room so I've decided to do a quick update of my blog.

The first few days of this festival, I was not sure if I was going to like it or not. Being thrust into a new and strange living environment with new and strange people (musicians, no less... *shudder*) always makes me uneasy, but it seems my housemates and I are now finally beginning to settle in with each other. I'm sharing this house with Kurt (principal cello from Indiana), Cindy (2nd violin from Phoenix) and Sarah (2nd basson from Santa Barbara). Two people were here only last week and have since moved out: Erin, my good friend from UOP (bass clarinet) and Michael (a hilarious trumpet player from Britain, now working in northern California). Tomorrow, a harpist is moving in with us who is coming just to play Scheherazade this weekend.

I've had a really fun time getting to play some great repertoire, most of which I hadn't had the opportunity to play before (Hindemith's Mathis der Maler, William Schuman's New England Triptych, Rach Piano Concerto 4, Grieg Piano Concerto in A minor, Shostakovich 5, etc etc.). These next few days we get to play Brahms 4, Debussy's Prelude to an Afternoon of a Faun, Scheherazade, as well as The Barber of Seville and a few other things. The constant playing has been really good for me, as far as reconfirming my conviction that playing the clarinet really is what I want to do. And that I can actually make it in this business ... somehow. (And, goshdarnit, people like me!) Regardless of the fact that I just graduated with my Master's degree and am tragically bountiless in the job-prospects department. Whatevs. I will hit the pavement hard the minute I set foot back in Knoxville, dammit (...maybe I'll give myself that weekend to take things easy, first...)!! And I WILL find a way to make a living as a bona-fide musician (...or at least find a way to make a living while still being a bona-fide musican...)!!!

Anyway, this place is beautiful. Picture Lake Tahoe, but on a smaller scale. And our house has a breathtaking view of Bear Lake right from our balcony. It's gorgeous. Maybe when I get back home I'll post some pictures here. When you take a walk around the lake, you can smell the pine trees and it makes you realize how great it is to smell the actual trees and flowers instead of air fresheners. The only thing I've had to sacrifice from being here is the use of my precious cell phone (but I'm actually getting to like not having to cater to the demands of a cell phone...) and the full-capacity use of my already pathetically weak lungs (we're up at over 7,000 feet). I stopped in at the Bear Valley sports shop in between rehearsals today and got to chatting with the nice man who works there, Lance. I was telling him how I was a bit shocked about the lack of cell phone reception when I first got here, and he gave me the heads up on three spots where he is able to get a signal on his phone: the driveway of Basecamp (the local pub), the gas station (yes, Bear Valley only has one gas station: $2.99 an f*ing gallon!!!!!!!!!!), and the intersection at the top of the trail leading to the beach right by my house. I tried the first two this afternoon but was unsuccessful. Damn you, Cingular!!! But I will try the beach spot tomorrow (seeing as how we have only a morning rehearsal and an evening concert, I have the entire midday to go relax by the lake ... ah, what a hard life this is...).

Also, my lack of oxygen intake was in full-force in our afternoon rehearsal today as I was not exactly in my peak physical condition (long story.... violin party at my house last night, avoided it by going to Basecamp and having a STRONG gin & tonic with dinner -- by the way, me and alcohol at this altitude: not smart --, dropped by the tent to catch some of the County Line Trio concert that was going on that night -- bluegrass...reminded me of Tennessee --, came back home to find the house invaded by many crazy, drunken violinists and spent the rest of the night hibernating under the sheets in my bed up in the loft making excuses not to go with said crazy, drunken violinists down to the beach to build a bonfire...). Needless to say, this afternoon's rehearsal was spent by me alternately playing bits of Debussy and Brahms and then putting my head between my legs in an attempt to not pass out from the lightheadedness.

It's also been fun/funny reuniting with some old faculty members from UOP who are also here in Bear Valley. Especially my old music history mentor, George Nemeth, who was my own personal writing/grammar Nazi during my former life as a Music History major during my undergrad, and who plays horn in this festival. I was at a wine-tasting booth with him a couple of nights ago and I was instantly transformed back into my 19-year old self as he berated me for using "me" improperly instead of "I." And then he laughed as the wine-makers at the booth scolded me for having chewing gum in my mouth while I was tasting their wine. As Dr. Nemeth said, "Some things never change." (What was that supposed to mean??!!)

Well, folks. I think that's pretty much it for my update. Hope you are all having a great summer!

ps. Heather, on my day off this past Monday I visited my sister and her family in Sacramento and, subsequently, brought the e-fer there for safekeeping for the remainder of this festival. So unless some stealthy bandits (SGS! Haha!) go in and rummage through her coat closet and kidnap the eb clarinet, you can rest assured I will not lose or otherwise harm your instrument any further.

pps. Speaking of thieving bandits, I found out during my second day here in BV that my Visa card had been used without my authorization during my 4tet's fabulous trip in Tokyo and that my bank account had been overdrawn by several hundred dollars!! Try sorting that entire mess out with no cell phone or internet access.... It was quite the nightmare. But hopefully it is almost all straightened out...

ppps. I better get asked back to do Bear Valley next summer. And you all better plan on coming with me because this is too much fun not to have anyone close to share it with.

pppps. I love Scott Atchison. *sigh*

ppppps. Jim Snyder, you can stop rolling your eyes.

5 comments:

  1. Was this the professor you had a dream who's head flew off and you were extremely happy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh ysabel about the highly unlikely possibility of anything happening to precious....well you forgot about Kat.
    Don't worry it looks better with marker on it.
    Greg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait, as the parents of my clever bandit of a niece, I assumed it was your responsibility to make sure she didn't find the eb clarinet in the closet. Right?!!

    And the story goes that I was commenting to my friend Sarah during a music history lecture at UOP (in which we were discussing beheadings, for some reason, and how you remain conscious for a few seconds after your head is chopped off...) that if I were ever beheaded, I would want somebody to throw my disembodied head over the crowd so I could know what it was like to fly for a few seconds. Then Dr. Nemeth caught us whispering and giggling and Sarah ratted me out in front of the whole class. And Dr. Nemeth's only response: "Little Ysabellllll??!!"

    Remember that, Sarah?? Hmmmmm???!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You NEED one of those baseball caps. Oh, and you know Jim's just jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree. You need a cap. Do they have "bear with me" postcards? ;)

    ReplyDelete