3.09.2007

TGI to the F.

Dear God, it's been a while since I've updated. And really, what better time than 9pm on a Friday night for a 26 year old to stay at home, sit on her couch while watching Comedy Central and update her blog...

*sigh*

Anyway, let's see...what random pointless current events can I share wit chu...

Oh yeah: so a few days ago at work, one of the print department underlings came to me for help locating a certain book. As she stood next to my desk looking over my shoulder, I started searching this music search database on my computer. However, instead of typing "Sax" into the search field, I inadvertently typed "SEX." And then before I could backspace it away, I noticed that she was looking at what I had typed and we both kind of just looked at each other for a split second trying to process in our brains what the proper workplace protocol is for a situation such as this, but before I could think of anything non-embarrassing to say, I just blurted out, "WHOOPS! FREUDIAN SLIP!! HAW!!" What a weirdo. Good thing she just went with the flow and laughed along with me.

Oh, and hey, you know what's more fun than Catholic guilt? Filipino guilt. Case in point: On my way home from work tonight I stopped at Rite-Aid to buy some anti-boy-poop candles for the bathroom. I was standing in line at the check-out counter when I heard an older couple speaking with a familiar accent behind me. As I turned around to smile at them, the older man said to me, "You look Filipino." I smiled and said, "I am." After a brief awkward silence that smacked of impending judgement, I added, "I was born in Manila, actually." And then came the inevitable, "You speak Tagalog?" to which I hung my head in shame and replied, "I can understand it, but I can't speak it anymore." And for the next five minutes I had to stand there and nod my head repeatedly in penitence while listening to "1987? You moved here when you were seven and you can no longer speak Tagalog? My niece was seven when she moved here and she speaks Tagalog..." Oy. Thankfully, before any more could commence the post-pubescent Rite-Aid cashier saved me from my guilt-ridden misery and I gave the man one last polite non-Tagalog-speaking smile and went on my merry way with my sweet-smelling anti-poop candles.

And one last thing: Next week Scott and I will be going to Japan for two weeks! Huzzah!! UW Wind Ensemble 6-concert Japan Tour, to answer your question. Wooo!!

3 comments:

  1. You're going to Japan AGAIN?! You know that means you could always send me another postcard if you really wanted to... ;) Anyway, Filipino guilt, huh? It sounds like Ukrainian guilt. I don't know more than a few words. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should've said, "No, but I know German." I wonder if they'd still give you the guilt trip then?

    ReplyDelete