10.24.2014

I'm going to start updating again, I mean it! (Anybody want a peanut?)

Here's the thing: doctoral coursework in an academic field like musicology means that there are never enough hours in the day to finish all the reading and writing you are expected to do. Hence, the last thing you really want to do in the serendipitously free moments of time is DO MORE WRITING. Especially this particular semester where one of our ongoing tasks for my music criticism seminar is to post regularly on our class blog. (It's kind of boring and also private, so I won't even link it here.)

But I am feeling especially distanced from my California family and friends lately--uh oh, the winter ennui is coming--so I am just going to have to force myself into this and hopefully get back into a groove.

Anyway.

Yesterday was great. I started with an 8am theory class with one of my favorite professors (the 8am is NOT IDEAL), got coffee and gossiped about our fellow classmates with a friend, did some reading (OF COURSE), got invited to an afternoon gamelan workshop led by old retired Chinese professor who was so adorable and funny, and then met up with a friend to celebrate her completion of her doctoral qualifying exams. Since I cannot drink beer without turning into this:


I had two tequilas instead. This then gave me some weird freaky motivation to practice my devil stick. So afterwards, I totally practiced some excerpts and a little bit of rep. And then I sent this text message to Schmoobles:


And now I'm sitting here writing this blog post instead of either a) reading more words about the Spain in the sixteenth century, or b) writing a post for our class blog. Feh. I'll get to those things later!

Other quick updates:
  • No more wedding planning has been accomplished since I put down our deposits on the church and reception venues. Actually, I did find a dress that I fell in love with, so there's that. Beyond just occasionally bringing up Google images of it and starting at it for a few minutes, I haven't done anything else. Gah. But LO! I also have our video Save the Date ready to go. It's just a matter of Schmoobs and I actually getting our arses in gear and finalizing our guest and address list. So, you know...baby steps. Fetus steps. Spermatazoa steps.
  • Tre is essentially a year old now and still hasn't learned how to lick his bunghole. I'll just have to accept that this is a habit that he will never pick up. Bela, can't you visit him in his dreams every now and then and teach him your immaculate ways?!
  • I ate some buffalo wings at midnight last night and then had some strong coffee this morning, which means I have to go tend to my colon now. Bye! ('Til tomorrow...I hope.)


No comments:

Post a Comment