11.25.2005

Back in black (Friday)

My total intent to steer clear of anything and everything related with commerce on this, the busiest shopping day of the year, was foiled when Ben called up to see if I wanted to accompany him to lunch and then to Borders and the mall. I don't know what the hell I was thinking by agreeing to go since: a) I hate malls, and b) I hate large crowds. But I couldn't say no since: a) he was looking for a birthday present for his mom and his mom is cool, b) I was craving a cup of coffee (big surprise) and figured I could get one while we were out, and c) my other option for the afternoon was to stay in and practice the devil stick.

Anyway, the highlight of the day was when we spent, I don't know, like fifteen minutes literally just walking around the food court looking for a free table to sit. Just imagine that scene in which you repeatedly spot a table about ten feet away and make a mad dash towards it only to be cut off by an evil and surprisingly stealthy family of four just two steps away from the table. If it weren't so frustrating it would have been hilarious. It was like something from a movie. A terrible, terrible movie. Probably starring Tom Arnold and Sinbad.

And the best part of all was when Ben and I finally hit the jackpot when a lady at a table we had been hovering over got up and told Ben, "We're done. You can have our table." And right as we were about to take the seats, this horrible, bitter old (but not old enough that would have warranted our giving her the seat out of courtesy) wench comes and sits her butt down on one of the chairs!!! Ben was like, "Um, excuse me. We have been standing here and the lady told me we could have this table." And the witch wouldn't give us our table!!! I think Ben tried to reason with her for a little bit whereas I just averted my eyes towards the opposite direction while mumbling to myself, "Eep! Confrontation!! Confrontation!! Must get away!!" Haha. Long story short, Ben and I finally got a table shortly after that incident and I hope that old troll gets a toilet full of coal for Christmas. Ugh, Happy Holidays indeed.

Also, we attempted to brave Old Navy but the line was like all the way to the back of the store. Insane.

On the upside, I got a CD of Bernstein conducting his symphonic works at Borders for $7.99! Sweet! It's really good (Los Angeles doing the Symphonic Dances from West Side Story, London doing Candide, etc.) except for Vienna doing Prelude, Fugue and Riffs. Squarest recording of that piece EVER. ...Ok, maybe not "ever." But Austrians playing jazz = AWKWARD.

5 comments:

  1. Here's a tip. I shopped at oldnavy.com and it was great. I probably found more of our xs size there than we would at the store. Plus all their shipping is only $5 no matter how big your order. Cool. Plus if you want to return, you can do so at the store and not have to deal with sending it snail mail!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh. Even MY mall was crazy insane packed. There's no way in hell I would have ventured out to shop yesterday. The day after Thanksgiving is meant for sleeping, leftovers, laying around in front of the TV, and more sleeping.

    West Town Mall is, in fact, the gateway to hell. I went there once last December, and I swear I feared for my life. Oy. Well, that and the bus doesn't pull into that madhouse parking lot during the holidays, so I had to run across Morrill Road to catch the bus back to campus. Baaaaad news.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You went to Borders?! Just when I was thinking that I could trust you and that maybe Kristina and I should get you something nice for Xmas, you go and stab me in the back. Now when you come visit not only will I help torment your loved one at the family gathering I will tell everyone about "handholding". Now how great was that $7.99?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went to the "Great" Mall in Milpitas today with my mom, and... ugh. Old Navy actually wasn't too bad (I think we were there at around 11:30am), but Gap (after lunch) was wall-to-wall people. I gave up at that point. Screw jeans! I said. I learned my lesson- if you HAVE to go to the mall, do it early (then go home and nap).

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahahahah...You failed to mention that the whore didn't even have any FOOD. Whereas, we had already made our purchases and were attempting to find a spot to consume cheap food products....

    bg

    ReplyDelete