12.05.2005

I'm aliiiiiive!

Sorry about the (not-so) brief absence, folks. Things in my head were sort of getting in the way of my producing my usual witty witticisms for the past several days. Ugh, life. Except now it's, "Whee, life!" because things are starting to work themselves out like I hoped they would. So my goal for now is to stop neglecting this blog -- because I know all of my trillions of faithful readers are lost and despondent without it -- and update once a day. Or at least every other day... Okay, definitely more than once a week.

*****

Yesterday I worked at Star*ucks from open to close. The hours weren't as hellishly long as it sounds considering we close at 2pm on Sundays. What was hellish, however, was the fact that from the time I got there at 6am to the time I left, we had literally about 30 customers pass throughout the entire day. Unfortunately, I didn't sleep very well the night before and could almost tangibly feel my brain slipping into a deeper and more extreme state of dead-ness with each passing hour. I think at one point I actually saw a tumbleweed roll by. Okay, not really, but the imagery is effective. The mocha, pumpkin spice latte and cup of coffee I had (not to mention the cinnamon twist and cup of caramel apple cider...) didn't really help things either. In fact, it probably made things worse somehow. Luckily I had another (non-Idiot) coworker with me -- who was in an equally sleep-deprived and extremely-bored state as I -- and we had a hell of a time passing the hours away by going through the Sunday paper, doing all the crossword puzzles and leafing through all the katrillion pages of Christmas shopping advertisements. The crosswords were especially entertaining considering our combined state of brain-cell inactivity:

Nice, non-Idiot coworker: "What's a five-letter word, ending with N, that also means 'sea'?"

Me: "'Sea?'"

Nice, non-Idiot coworker: "Yeah, S-E-A."

Me: "Four letters?"

Nice, non-Idiot coworker: "Five."

Me: ".....Ummm, 'ocean'!!"

Nice, non-Idiot coworker: "AAAAGH!!" walks away in shame...


Anyway, so that was that.

Also, Scott and I got a Christmas tree this past weekend. It makes me happy to no end! Ich liebe Christmas!

1 comment:

  1. Ys, if you need things to do while you're at work, there *is* a public library across the street. Just check out a book, like "Why Do Men Have Nipples," or any Stephen King, or (as Heather does) one of the "Bad Girl's Guide" books...

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/ref=br_ss_hs/002-5557011-9637613?platform=gurupa&url=index%3Dstripbooks%3Arelevance-above%26dispatch%3Dsearch%26results-process%3Dbin&field-keywords=bad+girl%27s+guide

    These should provide you hours of entertainment, or at least give your coworkers and customers the impression that you are entertained. Or in the case of the Bad Girl Guides, make those people not want to mess with you.

    ReplyDelete