7.05.2009

Happy 5th of July!

Last night's party at my sister's family's house: FUN TIMES. But really, with an obscene amount of food - not least of which, my dear mother's glorious lumpia yummm - and cold beer (and maybe a bit of much-needed buzzed mutual griping about 'goddamned Texas conservatives' with my brother in law's parents) and a large arsenal of slightly less than legal fireworks, what could possibly go wrong?

Nothing, right? Oh, except for a rogue firework that decided to topple over and hit my poor younger brother in the stomach AND HEAD, my mother on her thigh, AND ME ON MY ASS. My effing ass was hit by a firework last night. The end.

Not really the end. Because I have to add this completely unrelated note: So, one of the schools that I taught clarimanet lessons for last year (but not this next year since I am actually in demand now - hooray - and can afford to shoo away school districts who take an average of TWO MONTHS to pay me my moneys *harumph*) was at the end of a long road that was under construction for what seemed to be forever and ever. Because of the construction, some of the business along the road had temporary road signs put up to direct the public to the fact that they were still open for business. One of these business was a store next to a gas station, and I would laugh everytime I drove by it because the sign said "Convenient Store." And I would be all, "Ha! Dummies. It's 'Convenience Store.' Doy." And then the school ran out of private lessons money around May and I stopped thinking about that sign completely.

And then, I was just reading a blog a few minutes ago, and the blogger - who seems to be, for all intents and purposes, a very witty and competent writer - totally wrote "convenient store" in one of her posts. 

What is this? Is this some form of zany English that I am not aware of? Is my saying of "convenience store" lo these twenty-odd years actually totally and completely incorrect? Is the fact that the blogger is Canadian an indication of anything? Is it in actuality a convenient store - as in "Oh, how convenient! A store!" Or is it more like, "Oh how grand! A store for my convenience!" A convenience store.

Blergh. I got hit on the ass by fireworks. 


ps. So Chestnut wins again. Seeing as how he is the (sort of) hometown hero, I guess I have to be happy (grumblegrumble). But in my heart of hearts it will always and forever be...

KOBAYASHI 4EVAH!


No comments:

Post a Comment