10.13.2006

Random thoughts...

1. Happy Friday!!!

2. I hardly slept a wink last night for a variety of reasons, one of them being that my entire head turned into a virtual mucous and bile factory, causing me to spend every five minutes for eight hours tossing back and forth on either side exchanging goo from one nostril to another while simultaneously launching into a repeated attack of the Dreaded Violent Hacking Cough, which would occasionally escalate to the level of the Dreaded Dry Heaves. Appetizing, eh? Add onto that delightful party a dull, throbbing headache and I was able to conclude that my 2-month long allergy/asthma ordeal had somehow morphed itself into a freaking cold. I mean, who gets colds anymore?? I sure don't. At least I don't remember having gotten one in the last five years. Bah. Anyway, this morning I think I snoozed the alarm for about 45 minutes and managed to stumble into work only 15 minutes later than I had originally planned to. And the beauty of that whole scenario? It didn't matter! Because I am the head of my department, people!! Mwahahaahahaha!!! ...Ooh, this is going to take some getting used to, but I can definitely see myself taking full advantage of this role. Did someone say "dictatorship"? Hmm...me likes the sound of that.

3. I cut myself bangs again last night. GodDAMNIT!!! Why can't I stop myself??!! Ugh. Ah well, here's to another 16 months spent growing them out...

4. I just ate a Quarter Pounder meal at McDonald's for lunch. Bleargh. Why do I do this to myself? And in such a repetitive manner? ...Well, because french fries are freaking tasty, damnit, that's why. And so are the burgers that come with them. As well as the delightfully bubbly Diet Coke that washes it all down. The meal is especially tasty if you've trained your brain to completely block out the fact that each toxic bite has like a billion grams of saturated fat. Oy, whatever. Also, I have no concept of willpower whatsoever. This is evidenced by the fact that I think (hope?) today is payday and I've already spent a portion of company time this afternoon checking online to see where the nearest Target and Old Navys are in relation to my office. Hey, I can't even remember the last time I went shopping for myself (pity courtesy shopping trips during visits home to California from my mother and sister notwithstanding) so you will please allow me this little extravagance.

5. Speaking of which, I'm pretty sure today should be payday and I still haven't seen any new money show up in my bank account. This is making me nervous. Only because Target's a-callin' my name, if you catch my meaning. Also, I don't know how much longer I can go on without the office staff here realizing that I have been wearing the same 3 pairs of pants to work for the last 2 weeks. Who knew my wardrobe consisted of 90% denim? Hm. Anyway, yeah I need more nice slacks.

6. Hey, you know what's a really wonderful piece of music? Mendelssohn's incidental music to A Midsummer Night's Dream. I had never really taken the time to listen to much Mendelssohn, especially this particular piece because 1) As you may or may not know, I have spent the last 5 years of my life skillfully avoiding anything and everything to do with the Mendelssohn Scherzo orchestral excerpt for clarinet. This included even acknowledging it's existence, so I clearly could not let myself listen to it. And 2) My uneducated and biased feelings towards Mendelssohn up to this point had been summed in this way: "Hm. Meh." But now that I've finally conquered my deep-rooted hatred for fear of the Mendelssohn Scherzo excerpt, I have come to the realization that this piece is really quite fantastic. Especially the Overture; The sprightly elvish character of a Shakespearean fantasy, the dramatic tension of Sturm und Drang (yeah, I said it), the joyful exuberance of a late classical symphony: it's got everything! And it's especially cool if you're listening to the London Symphony Orchestra perform it. Did I mention that he wrote the Overture when he was seventeen years old?! Oy. Also, check out his Scottish Symphony. It's got a hell-of cool clarinet part - particularly the second movement - well, until you get to all the tonguing nastiness again. Ugh. Damn you, Mendelssohn. At least this one he wrote when he was like 30 or something.

Ok, that's all. Have a wonderful weekend everybody!!!

***

Addendum:

Gah. I was just talking to one of the managers here and he said he thinks that payday is next week. Bah! Baaaah!!! *sigh* Ah well. Target waits....

2 comments:

  1. Ooooh, does Mickey D's have Monopoly there? Let me know if you get any railroads so we can totally split the $5,000,000. Mmmm, quarter pounder sounds pretty good right now actually... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't eat at Mickey D's much, but if I happen to get a beverage there, I'll watch for the railroads too. I'd be happy with $300K, haha! (0;

    What is it about slacks that no one ever seems to have enough of them? Target sounds like a great place to be right now...

    ReplyDelete