10.01.2006

Drumroll please...

Ok, here's my new job title:

PRINT MUSIC BUYER

Ta daaaa!! Yay!! Ah, how sweet is this? For the first time in my retail-related crappy job history, I finally am no longer required to offer products to the masses in exchange for their money, and, instead, am in charge of buying products from assorted publishers and distributors to sell in our stores! Hahaha! I excel at the expelling of money, people, and it's about goldarned time I got paid to do it. So there, world! Sweet, sweet justice is finally mine...

Anyway, I will be the official Print Buyer for this music company in the Seattle region called Mills Music. They own 11 stores in Washington, and I'll be in charge of the sheet music inventory for all of the stores. Overseeing 11 stores will be quite a challenge, I'm sure, but at least I don't think I'll get bored (or as bored...) -- which my non-existent-attention-span-self is apt to do, as you probably know.

So that's that. I start training tomorrow with the outgoing Print Buyer for the next 3 weeks, which should be interesting. And I say this because the fellow seems to be a bit of a nutjob. I spent about 4 hours with him last week, during the morning that I officially accepted the position and got kind of a strange-ish vibe. Nice enough guy, I guess, but the type to stare at you just long enough to make you feel little skeezed out, you know what I mean? Anyway, at least it's only for a few weeks and then I'm large and in charge, baby!!

So yeah. And in the process of accepting this position, I actually for the first time in my life ever, had to turn down a job! I was offered and decided to pass on the Director of Education job with the Bellevue Philharmonic, which may seem foolish because the DE job sounds pretty impressive, but I felt like I meshed better personality-wise with the Mills people than the Bellevue people (Which is a staff of three people. Literally.). So, sorry Heather. I guess we won't be DE sisters after all. Also, the job itself was about 80% administrative/clerical stuff and the rest actual education and music related. Also, when I went to meet and interview with the Bellevue staff (all two of them at the time) the Marketing and Special Events girl decided that that would be an opportune time for her to talk down to me and act as though she was leaps and bounds more experienced and qualified than I, even though 1) she has a background in theater - not music - and 2) had been working for the orchestra for, I kid you not, all of one week. Anyway, so I, of course decided that would be an opportune time for me to say, "Eh. Thanks, but no thanks." Although, I'm sure I would have gotten plenty of good blog stories out of that little wench. Oh well.

Oh, and there's also the fact that Mills is offering me more money, better benefits and a little more schedule flexibility. Yippee!

So wish me luck on this new job and hope that I don't get fired after a month for not having the slightest clue how to be a print buyer. 'Cause I don't.

***

Also: Yes, my brain is still itching. I'm not kidding you. What has it been now? Like three or four days? I don't know anymore because I've gone so far insane that I've lost the ability to count past one. And also probably because I've jammed one too many Q-tips into my skull that I'm sure I must have bruised my brain somehow. Agh. AAAAGGGHH!!!

6 comments:

  1. Long ago in her retail career (she actually does it for a living- oh the insanity), my mom was a buyer. That meant she had to fly to NYC all the time to go to fashion shows and stuff like that. Getting paid to buy things sounds pretty exciting to me. :) Good luck tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the new job. Little tip form the store side about buyers, listen to suggestions from the stores. The have a good idea of what works for the specific clientel. Can't tell you how many times we have used the phrase" Frickin' buyers, don't they know anything?" About the itch, maybe it's a spider that crawled in one night and is trying to get out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you've got a real, potentially cool job! With benefits. I'm jealous. Seriously, congratulations. Hope the first day went well. Why is the old guy leaving anyway? Ah ... to have money ...

    Oh well, I'll just go pick photos for my blog entry about my trip to the Colombian jungle and desert, which are within a few hours of each other along the Caribbean coast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! I'm sorry I have been lax in my checking of your blog. ):

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm late! Congrats on the job, it sounds great! If the orchestra job was anything like the CSO job I interviewed for (also Director of Ed), it sounds like you made the right decision! Have fun!!! (0:

    ReplyDelete