9.29.2009

Quickie.

My spidey senses (i.e. my website tracker) tells me that I have been getting slightly increased traffic lately (despite my lack of posting *oops*) most likely because I have decided to un-privatize (unlike our current healthcare system... see what I did there? Woot stealth political commentary!) this blog, at least for the time being. So far I have had no unwelcome visits from any readers currently residing in any of the cities where I teach, so so far so good. 

But now I feel all obligated to post regularly again. Bleargh. Here goes:

1. I had some Forbidden Mac n' Cheese for part of my lunch today. And it was purchased at  a goddamn Walmart deli, for crying out loud. I don't even know what to say about that except that teaching middle and high school clarinet lessons at 8 in the morning makes you do crazy things.

2. Speaking of delicious things that I am not supposed to eat: I would (not) literally kill for a carrot cake with walnuts and cream cheese frosting right now. Especially if it were accompanied by a couple of McDonald's hot apple pies. Also: I am PMS-ing.

3. I received an email from a student today containing highly informal text-speak, poor spelling, AND improper grammar. Oh God, I SOOO want to post it on here whilst making snarky/bitter/unprofessional commentary about the state of our nation's youth and their increased inability to embrace the art of the written word...but I can't now that this blog is public again. Drat. But let me tell you - you would be appalled!! Ugh. I mean, have fun with the LOL-speak with your friends. Have at it on your Facebook. But to one of your college professors?! Yeesh. I haven't been able to bring myself to respond yet. 

Note to self: First sentence of your next syllabus must read "The use of text-speak or emoticons in any assignment or email correspondence will result in immediate failure. Both of the assignment and life in general."

4. Speaking of: I posted this video on my blog today because I think the song - and particularly the soprano's voice in this performance - is beautiful. But I think the comment from one of my former college students is pretty funny:


(click to view larger)



5. My dear sweet mother - whose birthday was last Saturday (Happy Three Days After Your Birthday!) - left yesterday with my aunt to spend time with family in the Philippines for three months. Ack! Three months! Confound it. I should have thought ahead and made plans to stow away in one of her suitcases - or stuffed myself into a balikbayan box! Ah! Would that I were currently lounging blissfully on the white-sand beaches of my motherland and spending time with my fam whilst bingeing on delectable Filipino treats and frosty beverages! But instead, I must continue teaching the chilruns how to make pretty sounds on the devil stick all the live long day. That's wack.

No comments:

Post a Comment