8.30.2011

Back to the grind.


Yesterday was my first day back at teaching. My course load is much lighter (about half) than it was last year. Unfortunately, this also means less salary, but I won't complain. Bad karma. It's better than nothing, which is what I was anticipating. Anyway, I had forgotten how dreadful 8am theory is, especially when it is preceded by a one-hour drive. But even though I was already falling asleep six minutes in to administering the Music Theory diagnostic exam to the quivering freshmen (I kept myself awake by Facebooking), I don't think I had as rough a go as the poor kid who walked in fifteen minutes late...and then proceeded to raise his hand and ask me if I had a pencil he could borrow. Oh child. Not the best first impression. But I (sort of) forgave him because he was also wearing a cowboy hat, cowboy boots and a plaid flannel shirt. He gets the hilarious Texas Cliche Character pass for now.



After teaching my classes, I then spent the next several hours doing all of the tasks that should have been taken care of by the old tenured geezer who is keeping me from being hired full-time and who was away on sick leave FOR THE FIRST TWO MONTHS last year due to knee surgery...because he is gone on sick leave again for the first two weeks of the semester (or so he says...) while recovering from neck surgery. So, just to be straight, he is likely going to miss a collective 25% of a year of work while continuing to collect his second-highest-in-the-department faculty salary, as I not only do his work for him, but also collect 10% of what he will at the end of the month. Literally. And now you know why I am bitter.



Whatev man.



And then after lunch with Schmoobs, I came home and sat at the dining room table to do some freelance writing. But then it ends up I probably caught some germy germs from the germy Freshmen and I spent the afternoon couching and feeling heavy and nauseous in bed instead. Also, I totally got my Monthly Confirmation yesterday. Wow, big day.

No comments:

Post a Comment