7.02.2005

Sense of rejection increasing...

Countdown to Tokyo: 16 days

I never did end up buying that fabulous black suit jacket from J. Crew. My bank account is happy but my wardrobe is depressed. I went back to the mall on Thursday with every intention to purchase the damned thing, but when I went to try it on again it -- for some reason -- didn't fit as well as it did the day before. Argh! This always happens when I am faced with making a big purchase (apparently a suit jacket on sale is a "big purchase" for me...). Although the very same jacket seemed so perfect in every way the day before, the moment I put it on and looked in the mirror, I started hearing voices (which sound remarkably like my parents...haha) telling me to stop spending money and the irrepresible Catholic guilt kicked in, and all of a sudden I started seeing all sorts of flaws with the piece of clothing. Mix that with the fact that I have the build of a twelve-year old boy. Needless to say, I just couldn't bring myself to hand my Visa card over to the sales girl. *Sigh* The search continues...

So I haven't heard back from the Knoxville Symphony... I think I should probably feel rejected or something. I'm ok with it, though. First, because if I truly were being rejected for the job, I think I would have received a phone call actually informing me of this fact (that would be the decent thing, don't you think?), and I haven't heard anything. Perhaps they are just taking longer than expected to deliberate. And second, while being in the position of Operations Director would have been fantastic for a year (maybe two), I would have eventually had to confront the fact that the KSO would have been non-too-pleased with me not staying in Knoxville for several years. One of the (undiscussed) stipulations about the job is that they need somebody who will be in Knoxville for quite a while and, let's face it, the probability of me staying here for too long is not very realistic. Not that I don't love this place and love the people I hang with here -- well, I would say some of the people, some of the time (depending on my hormonal levels on any given day...haha). There's only so much a struggling clarinetist can get out of any certain place before they need to move on, I think. Anyway, so I wouldn't be too upset if I didn't get the job. My bank account and my unhealthy relationship to Target and shopping in general would be very very distraught, however. Obviously, now I need to start worrying about finding a job, period.

I've been searching the job listings in the Knoxville News Sentinel and have found -- amidst many many listings for sales and retail positions, from which I need to stay clear away (probably for the sake of the business more so than mine... but that's another story) -- a few that I may actually be successful in. We shall see. Anyway, I have all the confidence in the world that things will fall into place as they should eventually. It always works out that way, doesn't it?

8 comments:

  1. No, things don't always work out well, and when things fall into place, it's best to make sure they aren't heavy, or headed for you. Just kidding. Actually, I had a conversation about this same subject with my little brother just yesterday. I told him, statistically, the more resumes he sends out, the more likely he is to get an interview, and the more interviews he does, the more likely he is to get a job. Following that logic, if you send out 1 resume per day, over the course of 3 months you'll apply for over 90 jobs. Out of 90 employers, there has to be someone you can sucker into giving you a job, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stupid Catholic guilt. It even happens to the most non-practicing among us. Oy vey.

    You're going to find a job. I'm going to find a job. We're both going to find jobs. (Lather, rinse, repeat.) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ysabel saves the evening yet again....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dvorak rocks my world!

    I don't even know you.

    But I do play the clarinet :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I'm awesome. Haha! I'm close to breaking 200 on my counter... watch out, people!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Missy: hurray for clarinet players! and double hurray for dvorak! if you haven't yet, listen to dvorak's cello concerto and symphony no. 8. my favorites (i also happened to play them last year)... it doesn't get any better than that :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. dvorak's cello concerto is my favorite!!(i play the cello).

    ReplyDelete