2.13.2011

You know Schmoobs is out of town for the weekend when I post little inane anecdotes like this one because I have nobody else to tell them to.

(Or maybe you don't notice any difference?)

Last night I dreamt that I peed four times. Not just "dream peed" where you feel like or sense that you peed, but didn't actually physically witness yourself do it. Like, I dreamt that I drank a big cup of coffee and then lots of water, and then ended up having to pee four times. Which was comical in the dream because, of course, I was getting ready to go on some important trip. Such as going to the moon. Anyway.

Isn't there a rule that says that if you pee in your dream, you'll end up peeing in your sleep? I always thought so. Well, I didn't, thank heavens. I guess I just debunked that theory.

I'm in full on menses mode. Unfortunately, I am also in full on penny-pinching mode and am left with zero Midol pills. G*dd*mn f***ing adjunct salary. Hey, did you know that, even though I am somehow teaching more students this semester, I am technically assigned one less credit hour of classes which - YAY! (sarcastic mode on) - means that I got an effing pay cut this semester? Well, it's true. Not only that! Since they don't mail out adjunct contracts until after the twelfth day of classes, my first "full" paycheck since the holidays won't come in for two more weeks! HOORAY!

Ugh.

How stoked and not at all bitter or depressed am I that my chosen field now all but requires you to get three (count 'em THREE!) college degrees to even have a hope of attaining some semblance of a stable teaching career with a decent salary. Bleh. I swear to you, if I don't get into a PhD program, I am running off to join the circus. I can be the little clown they blow out of a cannon.

Aaand to top off all this hormone-induced bile and bitterness: My faculty counterpart - a very nice old gentleman roughly ten zillion years my senior who teaches some of the same classes that I do - injured his knee over the holidays and has not been in to teach a minute of classes all semester. But who wants to bet that he still receives his regular salary, which - and this time I'm not exaggerating - is probably at least five times mine? Because he is tenured and has a doctorate. A DMA in Organ Performance. ORGAN PERFORMANCE. What is that? It's like the equivalent of a PhD in Medieval Jousting! Pfft. Organ Performance.

*takes a swig of coffee*

Okay. I just needed to get that out.

Alright, in related-but-happier news: One of my students emailed me yesterday to tell me that his counselor recommended him to participate in a "Campus Profiles" video shoot at the university media center and that he should choose his "favorite teacher" to interview. Of course, he chose me. Awwwwwwww. Still doesn't help me pay my bills.

Hm, okay now in totally unrelated news: I woke up this morning to make coffee and our kitchen smelled like the most delicious baked goods. Vanilla, brown sugar, cookies. Of course, there was none of that to be found. The last thing I did last night was heat up a bowl of Campbell's chicken noodle soup in the microwave for dinner (how sad). Maybe some cookie-baking gnomes came by last night? How rude of them to not leave any cookies for me, though. But seriously, why does my kitchen smell delicious??

No comments:

Post a Comment