8.19.2008

Hello again.

I am starting to have thoughts. Mainly concerning my life path. Mainly the fact that now I am weighing two options regarding my foray back to the world of acamadaemia:

Option 1: Get a Ph.D. in Musicology.
  • All of the post-graduate musicology programs that I have looked into (i.e. want to apply for) are a minimum of 5 years. At this rate, I'd be in my mid-30s before I even begin my professional career as a university music professor. Egads. 
Option: Get a DMA in Clarinet and some sort of minor/secondary graduate degree in Musicology.
  • This way, I could theoretically be a "doctor" in 2 years (or at least be "All But Dissertation") and be on my way to having a professional career as a university music professor in 2+ years. 
Thoughts:

1. My professional goal is to be both a university professor and a clarinetist. In my fantasy world, I would teach at a university - both as an applied clarinet teacher and also as a music history teacher - and play in a symphony orchestra. Both of the options above are with that goal in mind, obviously one with my focus on Musicology and the other with my focus as a clarinetist. 

2. It's hard to say which of the two options I prefer since I clearly am torn between the two concentrations. I think the difficult thing for me right now is the thought of devoting another 5 years to schooling when I could, essentially, be viable for the same types of jobs in less time.

3. Obviously, if I go the Ph.D. route, I would be a very well-rounded candidate for the type of professorship I'm looking for, especially if I continue to keep my playing chops in shape and stay in touch with the performance world. If I go the DMA route, my resume would be extremely clarinet-heavy and would not be as well-rounded. And in that case, I would be more viable for clarinet teaching/performing jobs (at least on paper). However, after being out in the real world for a few years now, I've seen how difficult the life of a clarinet performer can be, and that prospect in itself is only slightly (yurgh) daunting. 

4. So maybe the Ph.D. route still makes the most sense? But FIVE YEARS?! If I were still in my early twenties, that prospect would actually be welcome. But as I approach 30, my perspective has changed a bit. I'm not sure I want to wait until I'm 35 to begin my career. Blargh.

Help? Thoughts? Opinions? Fart jokes?

***

ps. I am still also taking suggestions for my new leisurely sport/hobby (see post below). So far I have heard gymnastics, Pilates, tennis and badminton. 

1. Thank you everybody for not suggesting distance running (and by "distance" I mean, "any distance more than 2 blocks"). The mere thought of running more than one mile makes me vomit in my mouth. No, literally. Running a mile makes me vomit in my mouth. Sometimes out of my mouth. That's the worst.

2. Oh, I would love to do gymnastics again. Anyone see that 33-year old Russian-turned-German win the vault silver a couple of days ago? Zoiks! I'm 5 years younger than her, and my joints ache at the thought. But, oh, what fun! As long as there's no more vault involved. Because if I was doing face plants and total wipeouts on that thing when I was 12, Lord knows what would happen if I tried it now. I'll have to see if there are any Senior Citizen gymnastics classes in Texas. Hahaha.

3. Hm, tennis. Yes, the outfits are cute. But that would involve finding a tennis partner. Perhaps I can guilt Schmoobliebuns for dragging me to Texas enough to force him into becoming my weekend tennis buddy? Maybe after marching band season. But even then, doubtful. Although I could play on his ultra-competitive side. "Too scared of losing to play tennis with me, eh? Wow, I thought you liked sports. I guess you are getting too old to challenge me in tennis, old man .... or are you just chicken? BAWK BAWK BAWK!" 

4. Badminton. I think we played badminton in junior high PE. And if I recall correctly, I was not good. I did not enjoy team sports in PE. Unless it was racket ball (baseball with a tennis ball and racket instead of baseball and bat). Flag football was okay. Dodgeball was the DEVIL. Mainly, I just liked being the fastest sprinter in my PE class and the one who could do more push-ups, pull-ups and sit-ups than any of the girls (and most of the boys thankyouverymuch) in class. However, my mile time? I'd be lucky if I broke 12 minutes. And if I did, I would probably  commence with the vomiting (see above). 

5. Oh yeah, and Pilates. I've thought about it before. I would definitely have to join a gym and/or take a class. Because doing Pilates by myself with no motivation or anyone else pushing me will not happen, guaranteed. That was proven by my 30 minute attempt to do yoga 8 years ago. Does Pilates involve any of that weirdo deep-breathing? And long stretches of silence involving introspection and internal thought? Because that's not happening either. There is too much caffeine and LOST-theories running through my brain at any given moment for that to happen. But people who do Pilates do have fabulous bodies. Hm.

Anyway, more suggestions are welcome so I can make a well-informed decision!

No comments:

Post a Comment