7.10.2011

An actual Sunday.

For the whole week - well, really the entire last...six years? - but mostly yesterday, I found myself typing and working and writing away on the computer thinking, "I wonder what it's like to have the type of job where you don't feel obligated to fill in any and all free time with more work. Like, as a musician, free time equals "more practice time." And as an educator, weekends equal "two days that you have to get ready for the next week of classes."

And, because the universe likes to times things just so, I found myself today answering a phone call from a friend (really the only real girl friend I have here in TX) who lives 45 minutes away, but who goes to church five minutes from where Schmoobles and I live, wanting to know if I was available to hang out after she was done with the service. So I opened up the computer, finished up the very last bit of work that I had to get done before tomorrow, vacuumed the condo, fed the animals, took a quick shower all in time for her to come over. And then I made some spinach, onion, tomato and goat cheese flat breads with egg and coffee and watched the season premiere of Big Brother (woot!). And then we meandered over to our fabulous neighborhood country club Rich People Swimming Pool where we managed to bypass the $100+/mo membership fees by slipping them $5 instead and spent the afternoon poolside drinking cocktails and eating nachos, people watching (i.e. judging) all the wealthy elite of our community with their pulled up brows and inflated chesticles and ill-mannered children. It was pretty entertaining.

Though it doesn't happen very often, being able to spend a day off as an actual day off and enjoying the good life, even if you are just playing pretend, is nice every once in a while. But, in a weird way, I'm grateful that it's not the norm. As I told my friend, you'd probably stop appreciating it after a while. Not us, though...

They take your drink orders from the adjoining bar/restaurant. And then serve it to you in the pool. Criminy!

No comments:

Post a Comment