7.30.2011

What is up.

So in my complete state of panic - actually justified this time,  which is unusual - after being informed that I would for all intents and purposes be laid off from my adjunct position at the university at the end of last year, I proceeded to bust my ass all summer trying to figure out what the hell to do with myself in order to 1) be able to pay bills and buy food, and 2) not sell my kidneys and molars on the black market. It sucked, especially because of my deep-rooted refusal to go back into retail (you should all know by now that nobody wins in that situation), but I finally got a job for a Google-related company doing internet search assessing work.

I am overly cautious about actually naming the company and discussing it in much detail because, apparently, people have gotten fired for divulging anything about the job/company online. Google is hardcore, man. But whatever. I don't care because they will supposedly give me money every month if I do their bidding. And their bidding is, in general terms, completing a series of tasks and reviews and ratings that are meant to optimize their internet search results, thereby increasing their potential to completely annihilate all other interwebz entities and becoming the interwebular overlords. Wait, I think that's already happened. Anyway.

Things I like about it:

1. I can work from home.

2. This can supplant my clarinet lessons teaching. Thank Jeebus.

3. It's pretty easy. Boring, but easy. Luckily, I can watch the Cooking Channel and/or listen to LOST podcasts at the same time.

Things I don't like about it:

1. For the first month, I am apparently in an evaluation phase, where my hours are limited and I can only do about 2 hours of work every day. If I'm not fired after the first month, I think my tasks become unlimited and I'll be able to work more.

2. Having to evaluate the search results for the search query "large dildo ruin." WTF.

Anyway, I am anxious to get my initial review because, frankly, I've been doing this work blindly for the past three weeks and, aside from the productivity chart I maintain, I have no idea if I'm actually doing a good job or not. We'll find out in a week or two, I guess. Be gentle with me, Great Google Overlord!

In addition to that, HEY I've been promoted at Suite101! I am now not just a contributing writer, but I am also a Feature Writer and the Topic Editor for Classical Music. Booyay! This means that, instead of earning enough to buy 1/2 of a gas station cup of coffee every month, I'll be able to buy 1/2 of a Star*ucks cup of coffee every month! Hahaha.

No, just kidding.

I just like my new title. That's a neat little thing to be able to put on my CV. And it means that any new articles that get written in my topic have to pass my muster. Did you hear that, armchair music writers? No more listing Debussy as one of your two Romantic era composer examples! I mean...really. I just wish I had the time to go back and edit ALL of the other articles that were published in this topic before me. So much of it is truly horrific. And, honestly, what I'm really writing the Suite articles for is to get my music writing out there into the universe, metaphorically and literally. Who knows what may happen through this little bit of exposure? Maybe something else will come of it. Besides a few sips of free coffee.

Aaaanyway.

So I may not be completely laid off from my adjunct job after all! In a fit of pent up desperation and frustration yesterday, I sent an email to my (former?) university department head asking if there was a final, definitive word from the Powers That Be whether my position was terminated or not. Seriously, how frustrating is it to hear a bunch of "maybe"s and "hopefully not"s when it's your freaking income at stake and time (i.e. measly savings) is running out? Well, I got this in response:


which is...still not a definite yes. But it's enough to make me lean towards cautiously optimistic! Hooray!

***

Oh, and if you're not a musician and have always wondered what it was that I was talking about when I say that Schmoobs is off teaching his nerd corps, this was him yesterday as he was preparing his group for their performance/competition in Tennessee (GO VOLS!) that night. I just happened to come across somebody on Facebook doing a live stream of their group:

Schmoobles' Nerd Corps

At about seven minutes in, I sent a text message to Schmoobs that said, "I seeeeeee you! (on the live stream)" and you can see him respond briefly. Hahaha. In hindsight, I should have just texted him and told him I knew exactly what he was wearing and saying. It would have totally creeped him out! *sigh* Bygones. Here's one of their performances this season if you're interested. There's something about guys walking around on stilts and drums being played upside down at some point. Or something.

I have no real feelings towards this activity, but I do know that I want Schmoobs and his group to do well. All this time apart in the summers better be worth something, damnit! And man, do people get into it. Especially here. Check out the crowd at last night's show. Schmoobs texted me this pic:


Plus, there are a couple of guys in the corps that are students at our university who I actually taught when they were freshmen, so it's neat to see them doing well in nerd corps. Me, I'd rather listen to Dvorak in a concert hall. But what do I know? I just play the clarimanet. Kind of.

Well. Off to pour myself more coffee. BM no. 2 here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment