7.04.2011

Onwaaard.

I'll tell you what's not pleasant: Taking an hour to fall asleep at midnight because your little 12 pound dog is sleeping in the middle of the bed somehow managing to dominate your big giant comforter - your big giant comforter that itself is giving you grief because, under it it's too hot, and over it it's too cool. And then waking up at 4am because *poof* you got your Monthly Confirmation in the middle of the night (after pre-mensesesing for two weeks...at least that's how I'm justifying my massive cheese and chocolate intake) and your back hurts like a mofo. So then you stumble to the kitchen to pop a couple of Ibuprofen only to throw yourself back in bed and realize that you can't fall back asleep anymore. So you just decide to go ahead and take a shower at 4:30 in the morning, which is fine actually because you have to take Schmooblebutt to the airport at 6am anyway because he's going back to Chicago to teach his nerd corps again. Blergh.

So that's that.

Meaning, it is just me and the Beebla for the next ten days again...plus, as we recently discovered, eleven full seasons of Cheers on Netflix streaming! Who needs Schmoobles when you've got Sam "Mayday" Malone and the whole gang to hang out with?! No, seriously. I remember watching some of this show with my parents back when it was still on, but now I've become a genuine fan. It's totally funnier still than probably 98% of all the current sitcoms that are being made now. Anyway.

What else?

Oh, I've got three articles down on Suite. So far, I have generated enough income to buy myself one quarter of a sip of regular drip coffee. From the gas station. Hahahaha. But I will stick with it and have patience. It'll be worthwhile in the long run, I think (I hope), as long as I don't get discouraged.

I think what I'd like to work on is writing a long series of Music History articles utilizing all the work I've done for my Intro to Music Lit class lectures. Kind of a "Music History for Dummies" thing that will be broken up in small segments as opposed to a big long single document. I may as well keep putting my music brain cells to use, right?

In the meantime, I've started the process to become one of those Internet Assessors so I can start making some steady income every month. After getting past the initial application process and invited to test last week, I started the official assessment portion this morning when they sent me the first (of two) assessment exams. Only twenty four questions. No big deal. What I did not anticipate: a 125-page set of Guidelines that I had to study before taking the exam. Like I expected, it was a lot of common sense and terminology stuff that a computer-trained person probably wouldn't need to read, but seeing as how I am in no position to be overly cavalier about an opportunity for a steady paycheck at this point, I went ahead and plunked myself down with my tall soy caramel macchiato (courtesy of Schmoobs) and READ THE WHOLE THING THIS MORNING ON THREE HOURS OF SLEEP.

And then I passed the exam. YAY ME!

Up next is part two of the assessment, which contain something like 150 task simulations. Luckily, I have until next Monday to complete them, so I can do it in small chunks and avoid throwing myself out the window.

According to Schmoobs, our (or my former...blurgh) department head at the University may still be able to get me some teaching assignments in the fall. Pfft. No, really, if that happens then great. But I know better now than to count on that happening. Grumblebittergrumblebitter. But regardless of if that happens or not, I am still going to forge ahead with this writing/self-employment path that I've set out on. It feels good and right. Even if I'm not actually, you know, making any money out of it yet. Plus, if I do get to teach a class or two this next year, I can still do my work-from-home stuff and make a decent second income. AND I WON'T HAVE TO TEACH CLARINET LESSONS ANYMORE.

Best. Part. Evarrr!

Blegh, enough about all of this. Remember when Schmoobz and I went to Dallas to try and check out the aquarium but were scared away by the massive hordes of children so we ended up going to Dealey Plaza instead? Well, we tried again yesterday and finally did visit the Dallas World Aquarium. Not nearly as many people lined up outside, but the inside was still super crowded and annoyingly full of sweaty, obnoxious human bodies. The design of the aquarium is really not conducive to larger crowds because there is very little open walking space and the whole thing is designed to sort of be on giant long walking path. Kind of strange, quite frankly. But we definitely enjoyed the animals nonetheless.

I'll update with some pictures later today. For now: Cheers and NAP.

No comments:

Post a Comment