9.19.2005

Same old, same old...

I spent the majority of the day yesterday a complete basketcase in regards to my complete lack of direction/money/job in life. What's new, eh? Fortunately I was able to clear my head a little bit by getting out of the apartment and having dinner with Ben, Josh B. and April at Applebees. By the way, in hindsight I realized that I had ordered a queso and chips appetizer for us to share, but it wasn't on my check. I wonder if it ended up on somebody else's check and they were just too polite or nice or clueless to say anything. I hope it was just left out of order altogether because then I won't feel bad. I worry about these things.

So anyway, I got out of bed this morning fully determined to get over my customer service/non-music job issues, tackle the classifieds and get employed at any cost. ...It was a futile attempt, however, since, with every job listing that I analyzed as a possibility, my overactive imagination took over and I kept visualizing myself working said waitressing or receptionist job and being in various states of life-hatred. I was going to drop by Baker Peters (a jazz club/restaurant here) because they were hiring hostesses and servers a while ago, but they apparently no longer have any openings. (See, I was able to reconcile working that job in my head because at least the place where I would be serving food was related to music.) Honestly, if I think about, I would rather work just delivering pizzas because the level-of-pay to customer-interaction ratio is relatively low. But the thought of the door opening and a former professor or student seeing me delivering their pizza is enough to make me pee in my pants. Plus, I don't want to deface my precious Lucky by placing a Papa John's or Pizza Hut sign on his roof. That is just too much. Am I being unreasonable? I probably am. That's the problem with having too much pride, I guess. I'm finding it's not always a good thing...

***

In other news, I have recently succumbed to the evil temptation and joined Facebook. For those not in the know, Facebook is this laaaaame online network at colleges where students post info about themselves, put people on their "friends" list, etc. etc. I guess it's designed to help you get to know people at your school or something. I thought (and still do) that it's the lamest thing ever -- especially now that I'm an alumni -- , but I've been so bored lately (as you all know) and the computer is my only friend during the majority of the week, so I did it. Although I may have an overloaded sense of pride, I apparently have no shame. Go figure.

In any case, most people pride themselves on how many "friends" they have on their list. Like, "Ooh, I have 367 friends on Facebook!" Whatever. I have 11, thank you. But at least I've actually spoken to all of them. So there. (In confession, this is largely because I refuse to tell people that I am actually on Facebook now and only put people on my list if they find me. This is due in part to residual feelings of resistance to Facebook, and probably also because I am lazy.)

4 comments:

  1. You want to know the secret to my current state of employment? On the part on the application under "college/university" where it says "technical, trade, or other education"- instead of crossing all that stuff out and writing "graduate", I left it allll blank. I'm probably going to hell, but I don't care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha!! That's brilliant! I actually had thought about leaving graduate school off of any future job applications. Oy, what kind of society do we live in that the more education I receive, the harder it is to get a job??!! I'm moving to Canada....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ysabel, when I finally commit myself to a life of mortgage payments, you can come live in our basement. We might let you out to see the sun a couple times a year, as long as our laundry gets done and the floors get cleaned. It's a pretty sweet deal, but since we're friends, I'll consider it a favor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahahahaha. Thanks Dan. I'm sure Heather will let me free from my prison to play duets.... it's a deal!!

    ReplyDelete