10.11.2005

Barista sounds so much better than Coffee Wench

So I started training at Starbucks today. Wheee!! Good times. For a mega-corporation, I have to say that Starbucks sucks not too much. It sure beats Blockbuster Video (Grrr!! Still much pent-up high-school hatred being harbored deep inside my blackened soul...), that's for sure. Actually, the interesting thing about this particular job is that I officially work for Hilton Hotels, not Starbucks Corporation, so I feel slightly less like a corporate sell-out. Even though I'm fully aware that Hilton is a mega-company in itself. Whatever. The bottom line is I get free coffee & pastries from Starbucks and free lunch/dinner from the Hilton. Yes! Also, my manager tells me that my employee discount comes from Hilton Hotels, meaning that, while I cannot get a discount from any other Starbucks location, I do get highly-discounted room rates at any Hilton hotel (i.e. She said she was able to get a room in New York city for like $40 a night!! Holy crap!! This may have been too good to be true. But if it isn't: New Year's Eve in Times Square, anyone?? Hahaha...) All the people I'll be working with (I've met all but 2 or 3 already, I think) are pretty cool and they seem to be very good at training new employees. Thank God. Because the more training and time-to-settle-in Ysabel gets, the less likely she is to get into fisticuffs with customers. And that's always a good thing.

In any case, I spent the majority of the morning drinking free coffee so my brain can't really process thoughts and directions well enough to write a long-detailed account so I have to go now. Plus, I have to spend the next couple of hours peeing every 10 minutes. Agh! Only unfortunate byproduct of coffee-addiction!!! Aside from the not sleeping and becoming utterly dependent thing. Bah.

ps. Got another phone call from a mom interested in clarinet lessons for her son. Hurray for still keeping hope alive that I can make a living as a musician!!

2 comments:

  1. Barista, eh? You call yourself whatever you want. I'm still a coffee bitch. ;)

    I'm glad it doesn't suck! Yay free coffee! And free food! Oh yeah, and NYE? I'm there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, it's good to hear that your new job has its perks. No pun intended.

    Now that you're downtown all the time, that means you can start hanging out with the cool people again. You know, "cool" people. Like us. At least my mom thinks I'm cool.

    ReplyDelete