10.30.2010

Let's get some blogging done up in here.

Hey, did you know that THE GIANTS are up 2 - 0 in the MOTHER-EFFING WORLD SERIES?! Yeeaaa! Boiiiii! They play the next three (or maybe two? hehehe) games here in Arlington and OMG if I had, you know, several hundred dollars to spare I would totally buy a ticket and go decked out in all orange and black and be the one lone Giants fan in Rangers Ballpark. It would be awesome. And if I had double the hundreds of dollars to spare, then I would buy a ticket for Schmoobles, too. He is no longtime Giants fan (he is of the Cardinals and A's persuasion) but he has been very good at showing support for my team the past few weeks. And, thankfully, we have not encountered any unnecessarily  combative and obnoxious Texas fans.

Schmoobs and I went out to watch Game 2 at one of our favorite nearby bars - one that has a slightly older and richer clientele and a really cool bartender who likes us a lot and would not object to having us non-Ranger fans at his bar. I was non-obnoxiously dressed in jeans and a white t-shirt with a huge bright Giants-orange scarf while Schmoobs wore his black Tennessee Vols jacket, which I pointed out to him, was actually a very nice neutral piece of clothing to wear, as it was black with an orange "T" on the front, so all the bases are covered. Ha. Anyway, we were definitely surrounded by Rangers fans there, but even when we were outed as the only two Giants fans in the place, everyone was cool and respectful. I think especially because Schmoobs and I made a concerted effort to not be obnoxious in our celebration throughout the game. Just doing a quiet "Go Giants" toast when we got our drinks, casting each other subtle knowing smiles anytime the Giants made a good play, and doing some under-the-bar clapping during each run or strikeout.

Truthfully, it has been a little bit sad (no, seriously) being around all of these rabid Rangers fans who have had to watch their beloved team get spanked. Nobody was expecting this. Not even any Giants fans. Of course, at the end of it all, I want the Giants to win. But I also want the Rangers fans to get a good, exciting, fun series to watch. Anyway, the series isn't over yet so I should definitely stop talking like we have already won the whole thing. And DUH of course I want the Giants to continue dominating, but I do hope the Rangers step it up...just a liiiiittle bit these next couple of games so these Texans can get a boost in spirit. But...GOOOO GIANTS!!!

Anyway, an assortment of other things I've been slacking off on writing about:

1. Oh wait, this first one is still baseball related. So Schmooblins' boss at the university is a decades-long Rangers fan. As Schmoobs said a few days ago, "You know how awkward this is for me, right? All the people I work with, especially my boss, is a Texas fan. But my girlfriend and the person I live with is a Giants fan." In fact, I was walking down a hallway at work on Wednesday morning when his boss came up behind me. I just looked over my shoulder and smiled, and a second later he returned my greeting with, "Oh. Hello...Giants fan." Can you imagine the amount of self-control I had to exercise to NOT return the favor with a huge smug smile directed at him on Thursday and Friday morning? See how good a person I am? Actually, Friday morning I was getting ready to leave the music building when I saw him standing there with another person at the main exit door, so I purposely turned the corner and went out an alternative exit just because I couldn't trust myself to not rub the Game 2 win in his face if I were to pass by him. HAH.

2. So I got an email a few weeks ago from a prominent textbook-publishing company asking if I would be interested in reviewing one of their new College Success textbooks. Woot! At first, I was super paranoid and convinced that it was some kind of scam to get me to give them my personal information, but I Googled the hell out of the company and they are totally legit. The review itself didn't take terribly long and I get a $150 honorarium out of it...eventually (hasn't shown up yet). But, best of all, I get to put an official textbook review in my CV! Nice.

3. I am officially seven pounds overweight you guys. Schmoobs and I weighed ourselves at a big, very exact scientific scale in the science building at work and we are both shlubby. Bleh. Seven pounds may not seem like a lot, but considering I have not grown any taller since I was, like, twenty, and that I am just a shade over five feet tall, seven pounds is significant. I have made it a goal to try and get back close to the weight that I was when I was in college. First order of business: I really really should cut back on the sugar. This, clearly, is made all the more difficult by my newfound obsession with sweet tea, Snickers bars and Twix bars. Gah. I will say that I have not had any candy bars or sweet tea in two days AND BB and I have been going on super-long (for us) walks around our neighborhood thankyouverymuch. Two miles! (Sh, that's good for us.) Anyway, I have been making some strides in my dietary improvements I think. For example, last night, instead of having one or three fun size Twix bars, I had two pieces of bread smeared with peanut butter, chocolatey delicious Nutella and not-at-all sugar laden strawberry jelly. And this morning for breakfast, instead of whipping out the bag of Cheetos Puffs in the pantry, I opted for Bold Party Flavor Chex Mix! See? I feel the pounds melting away already.

4. Uh...speaking of eating healthier (i.e. NOT): How far is Bedford from Rockwall??


5. I may have mentioned once or twice (heh) before how I have to teach at mother-effing 8am every day this semester, right? Which, factoring in a one-hour commute in plus my inability to function before noon, and I am pretty much running in to the music building at 7:59 every morning. On a good day. Well, T-DOT decided this fall to begin a re-paving project on the highway that pretty much extends the entire length of the drive to the university. It's a fun, exciting and not at all stressful crap shoot to discover each morning just how many lanes they decided to close that day or which stretch of road would be torn up and turned into a gravelly mess and for how many miles.

So, several mornings ago, I was racing to get to 8am Theory in time when, about twenty miles away, the traffic just stopped. Completely. Because apparently stopping traffic on both lanes of a busy highway during morning commute time so that a tractor can do some maneuvering is something that people do here. In a panic, I tried calling our department secretary again and again to see if she could post a sign on the classroom to say that class would be late, but - because the offices don't open until 8am - she wasn't in yet. So I did the only thing I knew left to do, and I went on Facebook in my iPhone, looked up one of the few students in the freshman class that had sent me a friend request, found her cellphone number and called her:

Student: (weakly) "...hello...?"
Ys: "Hi, Jamie?"
Student: "...yes..."
Ys: "Jamie, this is Ms. Sarte. .....Are you okay? You sound terrible. Are you sick?"
Student: "...yes, I'm sick....."
Ys: "Oh, well then I guess you're not planning on coming to Theory today. Whoops! The reason I'm calling is because I am going to be late and needed one of you to tell the rest of the class. But I don't think that you'll be able to apparently."
Student: "...no...but...Clay should be there...I can give you his number..."
Ys: "Ok, great! Actually, can you text it to me at this number? I can't write it down since I'm driving."
Student: "...sure..." (*sounds like she is about to start crying*)
Ys: "Ok, bye Jamie. Get some rest!"
Student: "...ok...thanks..." (*whimpering*)

Can you imagine getting a random phone call from your weirdo professor before 8am when you are actually legitimately sick? Ha! That must have been surreal. But that's what she gets for Facebook friending me.

6. I just remembered that last night I dreamt that I vacuumed our condo. And that most of what I picked up was BB's kibble. That's all I dreamt. Weird.

7. Three times in the last two weeks, our overhead bedroom light has turned itself on while I was lying in bed and Schmoobles wasn't home. So...um, yeah. I should be more freaked out, but I have every confidence in BB's ability protect me should Knuckles decide to get more aggressive with his pranks. Really, all she has to do is aim her big shiny brown doggie eyes at him and then roll over so he can ghost-pat her warm belly and I'm safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment