6.03.2005

Things to do this summer

Just got back from lunch with Scott and Jim. Before we left, Jim tried to help me with my whole adding-links-to-my-sidebar-without-being-scared-away-by-HTML issue. We'll see if it works. It better work, Snyder. Anyway, we went to Rooster's on Northshore. My chicken tenders were tasty. Then I went to Target to buy some Drano and toilet paper (so glamorous...) and walked out with, well, ...more than two items. Damn you, Target, for having so many wonderful things I don't need but end up buying anyway!! Well, I guess ice cream, shredded cheese, a bath pouf-y thing, and lip gloss isn't TOO bad. I mean, I could have walked out with, like, 10 DVDs and a new bike, or something. Plus, the lip gloss was totally on clearance. Oh yeah, and I also purchased the latest Discover and Rolling Stone magazines. Darth Vader's on the cover or RS! I couldn't resist.

So, I don't know about anyone else, but I personally have a list about 2 miles long of things I have been telling myself to do over the years but have either 1) not done, or 2) started but never finished. If there's one good thing about graduating from college and being unemployed, it's that I now have the time to tackle some of those tasks... In light of this, here is my TO DO list for this summer:

1. Read at least one good book every month. This can be either a new read, or something I have started to read and never finished. My current list of never-finished books include:

* The Silmarillion (JRR Tolkien)
* The Elegant Universe (Brian Greene)
* Les Miserables (Victor Hugo) - I first started this one in Junior High, by the way, and have never gotten past page 80 or so.
* The Wings of the Dove (Henry James)
* Cosmos (Carl Sagan)

Right now I'm reading I am Charlotte Simmons by Tom Wolfe. It's about this down-home girl from the mountains of North Carolina who ends up going to a very prestigious Ivy League university. Haven't read much of it yet since I just got it two days ago, but it's interesting so far.

2. Learn German (again). I took 4 semesters of Deutsch as an undergrad and actually really like the language. All those damn grammar rules were such a turn-off, though. Plus, my last semester of German was full of a) students who had already taken, like, 10 years of German, or b) members of our tennis team who were from Germany and who were in the class only because it would be an easy A. Ugh. I was sehr intimidated. Anyway, I still have my old German texts and CD-Roms, so I should try to pick it up again. Then I can be worldly and stuff. And I can sit and have coffee with all the exotic, cool International Study students at the big rectangle table at The Golden Roast.

3. Practice my clarinet more. Much much MUCH more.

4. Catch up on emails. Seriously. I am so bad at emailing/calling people back. If I were trying to get in contact with me, I would hate me. There are people out there who emailed me literally months ago and I still haven't written them back. I am a HORRIBLE friend. This goes out to Robin K., Linda, Jason R., Emily, Patti and probably a dozen others. I haven't forgotten about you, I swear!!! I am just incredibly lazy and easily distracted.

That's all I can think of for the time being. I'm sure there's a dozen other projects out there that I need to do...

No comments:

Post a Comment