1.22.2011

Happy Saturday, yo.

After enjoying a glass of red wine last night while watching this week's Real Housewives of Beverly Hills season finale (note: yowza) and then subsequently passing out on the couch and waking up at 2:30am to the strains of paid programming on the television, I meandered over to bed and woke up ready to go on a nice refreshing jog with BB for her morning Walk n' Tinkles. We were walking along the marina when one of the managers for the marina/grounds crew, a very nice middle-aged gentleman with white hair, stopped to chat. By "stopped", I mean he drove by in his white work pick-up truck, waved hello, turned around at the end of the marina, stopped when he got back to us and got out of his truck and immediately made a beeline towards BB. And by "chat", I mean spend twenty minutes talking about Shih Tzus and Lhasa Apsos and Pekingese and Shorkies (Schnauzer + Yorkie), all of which he has owned at some point. And by "talking", I mean he spent nearly the entire twenty minutes crouched down rubbing BB's head and belly while making hilariously unabashed baby cooing noises at her. Even when BB had to get up and take a dump, tottering around on her toes with arched back and watery eyes as she struggled with a stubborn turd, I had to bite my lip as he cooed in a baby voice, "Oh! That's a good girl! You can do it! Do you have a stubborn poop? Huh? Do ya? Have a stubborn poop? You can do it, girl!" Hahaha. It was out of control. He had no shame.

In other news: I only had half a workweek last week because my first day of teaching wasn't until Wednesday, but MAN it felt like forever. Teaching three core classes back to back to back starting at 8 in the morning means that you better be effing ready with all of your lecture material before you go to sleep at night, otherwise you are screwed. The good news is that I've already started getting positive  feedback from my students. With Schmoobins' help, I have discovered my new favorite teaching tool, and it is the almighty Keynote presentation for lectures. Omigod. If I could make sweet sweet loving to Keynote, I think I would. It's like cheating and being able to look at all your lecture notes during class without trying to be subtle! Except without risk of trying to be so subtle in front of your students that you forget to go over certain important points during your lecture and then kicking yourself in the head later that day!

On a somewhat related note (I promise): Did you know that the best time to go thrift shopping is directly after the holidays? It makes sense, if you think about it. All the richie riches get brand new pricey designer duds during the holidays and end up unloading their perfectly fine, last season's wares to the poor, needy adjunct peasants. I'll take it! Anyway, I decided to stop by a thrift store after teaching lessons on Wednesday - it's on my route home - and scored a number of cute yet professional tops for $1.99 each, as well as a nice pair of brown heels and a pair of brown heeled loafer Aerosoles for $4.99 each! All in great condition and all perfect for teaching. Note: I totally could have chosen a very sassy but completely impractical pair of blue peep-toe stilletos, but I chose the Aerosoles instead. Holy crap. Since when do I choose super comfortable, practical Aerosoles loafers that I will end up wearing to work at least twice a week over a pair of disgustingly high, brightly-colored, attention-grabbing heels that I would wear maybe twice a year?! Whatever, these Aerosoles are so comfortable and go perfectly with my work slacks and are super functional and OMIGOD I AM OLD FOR SURE THIS JUST PROVED IT AAAAAACK.

Anyway. Time for coffee and a BM. Byeeeee!

No comments:

Post a Comment