11.27.2008

I hope you are all reading this while recovering from a severe turkey coma.

Fact: If I were a contestant on Top Chef and the challenge was to create an entire Thanksgiving dinner in 4 hours with only 2 pots, 1 pan and 1 big knife then I would totally win. And the menu would include chicken (you can call it a miniature turkey in your head if you like) and vegetables, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes and gravy, lumpia (hell yes) and apple pie. 

Note: the lumpia ended up being what I called "Mexican shaped lumpias" because - goddamnit - I spent 20 minutes roaming the aisles of a very crowded Kroger this morning looking for proper lumpia or wonton wrappers and could not find any. So I had to settle for empanada wrappers which, due to their smaller size and greater thickness, do not wrap in a roll very easily, so I had to make what were essentially empanadas with lumpia filling inside. Still delicious. 

Note again: Speaking of, the grocery store was very crowded this morning thankyouverymuch. So I didn't feel so bad. Until I noticed that nobody except for us was pushing around full shopping carts but only, for the most part, bread rolls and/or booze. Hm.

Also note: Okay okay okay, I totally bought the chicken pre-cooked. They were on sale for $5 and allowed me the advantage of not having to reach inside the cold hollow carcass of a dead bird and dig out its neck and giblets. Barf. I did dress it up with added seasoning and vegetables and reheated it in the oven, so I think I get half a point. 

Final note: You know what I totally recommend? Making an apple pie that has a regular crust on the bottom but brown sugar crisp on top. Holy Moses, so tasty.


























Hope you all had a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment