7.30.2010

Brevard: Day Fifty-one

I'M A CELEBRITY (IN MY HEAD)!! GET ME OUT OF HERE!!!

This morning, I didn't have any coffee before my (relatively) early quintet rehearsal and BOY was I cranky. Anyway.

I present to you An Anatomy of an Assistant Dean's Cabin Table:



1. David Maslanka's Wind Quintet No. 3. The clarinet part. You know what you will see if you open the pages? LOTS OF NOTES, that's what. And somehow, I think that if I stare at these notes enough while listening to recordings and write in the occasional observation on the pages with a pencil (pictured), that I will somehow play all of these zillions of notes in the correct order at the correct speed. I'll let you know when that actually happens.

2. Coffee. DOY. Like, what else would you expect to find on this table? Whiskey? Tequila? Gin? Hehehe. Well, not when it's still daylight out, okay?

3. Ye ole trusty iPhone. Except totally NOT trusty here in the mountains. More like freaking unreliable and frustrating as hell iPhone. Bleh.

4. Dean of the Day phone. Nicknamed "Googly" (Long story...okay, short story: the Dean staff is obsessed with googly eyes. The end.). This is the phone that you have to carry around once every five days when it is your turn to be the official "Dean of the Day" and get to answer at 3 o'clock in the flipping morning when a production crew member's wife decides that it is an emergency that their smoke detector is chirping. And that somehow, the Dean of Students staff is obligated to do something about this. Not that I'm still bitter about this. BARF.

5. Yeah yeah yeah, so I know burning candles are not the brightest (no pun intended) thing to keep in your cabin in the woods. But you know what? They smell good and the bit of light amidst the pitch blackness keeps the psycho hillbilly zombies from molesting me at night.

6. Awwww. Look at me and my Schooblebuns. This picture was taken in Japan - during the UW Wind Ensemble tour in, what, 2007? This explains why we are wearing traditional Japanese yukatas. Anyway, I miss my Schmoobs. Only a couple more weeks until we are reunited and commence subsequently getting annoyed with one another again! 

7. Agh! Look at my Beebla! I MISS THEM SO MUCH IT MAKES ME WANT TO PUNCH THINGS. I can't promise that I won't be taking the remainder of my summer pay (what little there is left after taxes and bills, blergh) and splurging on the entire contents of our local Petco when I am back home.

8. Mmm...water. I peed out many many MANY bottles' worth of water when I was going through my kweech troubles earlier this summer. Man, was that miserable.

9. iPod touch. I'm not going to lie, my LOST playlist gets the most play in my cabin by far. Beethoven who? Sibelius what now? Michael Giacchino FTW!

10. Dr. Beat metronome. Ugh. The devil's box. I KNOW I CAN'T PLAY THE MASLANKA FAST ENOUGH, OK?? Leave me alone..... *runs to go cry in a corner*

11. My girly beauty station. Because I'm still a lady, damnit! You can see here the mirror with which I like to stare at my face in the quiet solitude of night and obsessively stare at my Left Brow Wrinkle of Doom whilst slathering it with layer upon layer of heavy moisturizing cream. Is that what I'm supposed to use? Because I went to Kmart (waaah I want Target) the other day and perused the wrinkle cream aisle, and it seemed like they were all just moisturizers. 

12. It puts the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again...

13. Kweech pills. Mmm...kweech pills.

14. Reeds. Reeeeeeds!! REEEEEEEEEDS!!! Incidentally, this entire pile contains precisely zero good reeds. *sigh* I love spending my hard earned money buying a useless pile of wooden sticks, don't you?

15. Now, if I were a hardcore rockstar (like I imagine myself to be in my head) these would be, what? Like oxycotin? Ecstasy? But no... these are kweech pills and Midol that I laid out to remind myself to take. Probably best that way anyway.

*****

Meanwhile, look what Schmooblebottoms emailed to me:

My very own office in the brand spanking new multi-million dollar Music Building at TAMUC! Look, I'm a grown up! Wheee!

I decorated a little bit in my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment