6.17.2011

No Rib Shaped Meat for me this summer.

As you surely have gathered at this point, I decided to not return to Brevard this summer as a member of the dean staff. It was something I debated in my head and with Schmoobliedoos and pal Dan for a really long time, actually. Though I wasn't always walking on rainbows and gumdrops last summer while there, it was in many ways an enriching experience that I'll never forget (no matter how hard I try hahaha), not to mention an awesome time getting to know and hanging out with everyone on the dean staff. Yeah, drinking beers on Cale's porch and making crude jokes and bonding over the terrible cafeteria gourmet offerings was probably the best part.

But when the opportunity to stay home this summer and teach during the summer semester came up, it was a pretty easy decision in the end. There is a part of me that wishes I was the one over there working and hanging out with Dan, Cale, Erin and Mike again instead of the girl they hired to replace me, a pianist who I have affectionately nicknamed Other Asian. Since she's Korean. I am awesome. Hope you guys are having fun over there!


Also, though I still haven't gotten my adjunct contract yet, I did manage to harass our department secretary while on campus yesterday enough to get her to tell me how much I was going to be paid. Let's just say it's not as much as I anticipated. Motha&(&#@damn()%(*$@heads! Have I mentioned lately how completely OVER music and music acadaemia I am? Honestly, I just don't think it's fair to have to work so hard to get so little in return. So I guess being laid off after the summer is just a big swift kick in the ass sign from the universe to tell me to explore other aspects of me and life. Blergh. You know that whole "Live to work" vs "Work to live" thing? I think what I've been doing is "Work to work." I'm ready for something else. 

In the meantime, I'm going to spend the entire day tomorrow with Schmoobs and his nerd corps as they rehears and have their first show, which happens to be just an hour away from us. Hey, did you know it was 104 degrees today? Yay, being supportive! Haha. Now...where did I put my battery operated body length air conditioning unit?

Oh, and this was the thing that caused me to unzip the side zipper of my dress while in the car on the drive home from dinner last night in order for me to breathe:

FLAAAAAAAN!

No comments:

Post a Comment