6.25.2011

UP AND ATOM!

Hey, look at me! I got accepted to be a contributing writer for Suite101! Hooray! Trust me when I tell you that I have spent hours upon countless hours scouring websites upon discussion forums upon research articles upon job forums, and soliciting the advice and input of real writers like JJ Keith (or, as my family will remember her, my childhood best friend Jodie!) looking into these "content mill" websites and such, trying to determine if they were legit or if they were scammy scams. Turns out, Suite101, along with sites like About and eHow, while not the epitome of research and writing glamour, are legitimate methods of earning some income. "Some" being the operative word. It is solely dependent on you, as the writer, to produce articles that are relevant, of good quality and in demand, which will be reflected in your monthly earnings.

Oh, and you have to write a lot of articles in order to make a substantial income.

But, hey, it's a start! And as much as my research tells me (via stalking other classical music articles), I am capable of producing a product that is of an equal or superior quality than what I have read so far. I mean, really. Ew, I just felt very elitist writing that. Sorry. But seriously. If I can't channel my wasted time and money and effort earning a Masters degree in Music into acting like an elitist botch about classical music, than what can I?

Also, Suite101 allows its contributors to write about anything and everything under the sun. So watch out for articles about farts and vodka martinis in the near future! Hahaha. Just kidding. Step 1: Build a list of topics to research and write about that many people will want to click on and read so that I can collect my money. Step 2: Forget about all of that and write about the Real Housewives and LOST. And farts.

Doing further research has taught me that there are writers on Suite101 who have earned upwards of $2,000 a month (one crazy lady has even regularly made $4000 - $5000 after a couple of years!). And other writers who have made a couple of hundred dollars. And probably many many more who made enough to buy a latte. I'm sure those top earners are people who have been churning out content for years and have several hundred articles under their belt.

But I figure if I can maintain a steady but manageable writing load for this site, and pick up one or more of these types of positions for other companies, then I should be able to eventually make as much as I did as an adjunct professor (probably more...grumblegrumblegrumble). And be able to do it while drinking coffee and looking like a sloppy mess at home! I mean, drinking coffee at a nearby coffee shop and looking very chic and urban! Go me! Cheers and pom poms! Streamers and high kicks!

Step towards that goal: Article number one! Any suggestions? I've actually already got a list going. In no specific order, just what my brain has spit out the last two days:

  1. Dvorak Cello Concerto
  2. How to make Lumpia
  3. John Mackey interview (?)
  4. So You Want To Be A Music Major
  5. LOST stuff
  6. Blogging
  7. Michelle Bachmann
  8. Jon Huntsman
  9. Differences in Music Major degree programs
  10. Roasting Vegetables
  11. Simple Asian coconut soup
  12. Castrati
  13. Basics to have in kitchen for novice cooks
  14. 2014 Presidential Election outlook
  15. Russian Five
  16. War of the Romantics
  17. Ear Training skills
  18. EDUCATION TOPICS
  19. College tips
  20. How college professors view their students
  21. Tips for freshmen
  22. Bipartisan websites/research
  23. Lecture/Presentation tips for educators and professionals
  24. Adjunct professorship
So, anyway, although it's nowhere near a guarantee at financial stability yet, I am happy to be at least one rung up on my monumental climb up the self-employment ladder. And it beats the job offer I received last week for an environmental website that wanted me to write articles and blog posts. And be paid in TREES.

Also, check out my Suite101 writer profile here. Still borderline professional, right? Ha! My byline, for when I, you know, actually publish an article and stuff, reads:

"Ysabel Sarte is a classically trained musician and music educator who spends a vast majority of time pursuing interests unrelated to music."


Hey, look at BB looking like a panda/ewok hybrid after getting her summer haircut yesterday:

CUTEST EVER.

No comments:

Post a Comment