11.09.2007

Droooowsing.

Okay, so remember about a year and a half ago when I was working for the KSO and stealthily made my covert escape "vacation" to the "west coast" for a week, when, in reality, I flew to Seattle to meet up with Scott so we could look at apartments and check out UW? I never wrote much about the trip, really. Even though I think I said I would. Whoops. Imagine that. Well, in a nutshell there was lots of oyster-eating and gin and tonic-drinking and being-forced-to-pretend-to-be-a-rich-yuppie-couple-while-accidentally-taking-a-tour-of-new-million-dollar-seaside-condos*. Also, because Scott had just accepted the doctoral assistant position at the School of Music, there were concerts by the University of Washington and Seattle Symphony ensembles to attend. There was one particular concert which showcased new music (hurl) for various chamber music ensembles. And in this particular concert was an especially particular composition by a young-ish female composer. It involved a smattering of instruments and a soprano.

The lyrics (libretto? text?) for this piece were interesting in the sense that every other word seemed to be "drowsing." But not just that, it was sung like a sophomore-year vocal performance major doing her incredibly irritating vocal warm-ups in the practice room next to you and she's so loud and obnoxious that you just want to take your clarinet swab and shove it down her throat. Like: "DROOoooooowsing." Over and over. "DROOoooooowsing." "DROOoooooowsing." "DROOOOOoooooowsing."

Also, did I mention that the soprano soloist was also the composer? Her voice was...nicht sehr gut. The whole thing was just really bizarre. I don't remember much else about it except that the concert was at the end of a veeery long day filled with Scott having to do the obligatory incoming-doctoral-assistant duties and shmoozing with big important wind band conductors and composers while I provided the essential arm-candy. In short, I was one crabby betch. And there I found myself sturggling to stay awake because of the 3-hour time difference while sitting there f*ing listening to this crappy soprano go "DROOOOOOOoooooowsing" for like twenty minutes (seriously).

Anyway, the moral of the story is that it is now 1:00 in the morning and I was supposed to be asleep 2 hours ago. So I have taken a melatonin pill to see if that would help me go to sleep at all and my first thought as my eyelids started to get a little bit heavy was: DROOOOOooooowsing.

So I wrote this post.

And in doing so, I have fulfilled my daily posting obligation for today. Huzzah!



*Ooh, that was a funny story. Too bad I never wrote about it! Haw haw!

No comments:

Post a Comment