6.23.2010

Brevard: Day Fourteen

Picture time!

(Just a few to start with for now, since it started thunderstorming yesterday while I was trying to take pictures. So I stopped trying to take pictures.)

So this is one of the two lakes on campus, Lake Milner. I don't know who Milner is or was, but definitely somebody important and rich. I have learned that if something here doesn't have a musical name (I live on Melody Lane off of Andante Lane, for crying out loud), then it is probably named after a rich person who donated a large sum of money to the music center. Anyway, Lake Milner is situated next to the main auditorium where the BMC orchestra rehearses and performs. The lake is also home to a group of geese who like to crap in the lake. On a related note: no swimming allowed in this lake.

Speaking of Andante Lane: here it is (or a portion of it)! It is the main road that takes you through campus. I walk up and down this road multiple times a day. On another related note: my ass is getting higher and tighter by the day. Woot!

So you thought I was kidding when I told you I lived in a cabin in the woods, eh? That's my door on the right. The door on the left leads to the unit occupied by the chorus master for the opera company, Beth. She is very nice and owns (AND BROUGHT! STAB ME IN THE HEART ALREADY!) a beagle named George. I like George because he makes me think of BB. But George also barks and CRIES like a crazy person at extremely high volumes every single morning when Beth leaves to go to breakfast. Note: Beth leaves to go to breakfast before 7am. I do not. So I get a lovely wake up call from George every morning roughly two hours before I am ready to be conscious again after manning French Quarter. But he's a cute doggie woggie so I forgive him everyday.

Ah. Speaking of French Quarter. This is it. I am inside it right now. Even though you are looking at it from the outside. Am I tripping you out? Anyway, French Quarter is located roughly forty paces to the right from my cabin. Inside, one will find things such as air conditioning, spotty (but precioussss) mountain w-fi, a television, board games, a ping-pong table and a refrigerator full of booze as this is the only place on campus where alcohol consumption is allowed. You may also find some opera singers who like to be loud and obnoxious and who don't know how to clean up after themselves (or read rhythms...wait, did I say that out loud?)

And lest I start feeling sorry for myself for having to keep watch over a hooligan crowd of music students in the woods under constant danger of being abducted by a psychotic mountain hillbilly, I just have to keep in mind that this is the view directly in front of my cabin. Lake Sonata (there they go again, with the names...), where swimming IS allowed under the supervision of a lifeguard. No ducks here, but there are fish in the lake. As well as a very loud and vocal group of (I'm guessing) bullfrogs that make laughing noises every night everytime I close down French Quarter and am walking back to my cabin. Seriously, this is what I hear during my walk: "CROAK. ...CROAK. ...CROAK. ...MHAAA HA HA HA HAAA." It is not at all terrifying the first time you hear it in the dark mountains by yourself.

And I just love walking by the low brass instruments studio every day because it so epitomizes what this place is. There is almost always a student or two inside the studio practicing their instrument and completely surrounded by the mountains and trees with a lovely brook running right underneath the cabin. Kinda neat. 



Oh, and I took a short video of the BMC Orchestra rehearsing for this week's concert in the auditorium (which, as I tried to show you in the video, is also an outdoor facility), conducted by Keith Lockhart. They sound aight. Ha. Also, all that extraneous noise you hear in the background isn't fuzz or static. It actually starded storming during the rehearsal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment