6.28.2010

Brevard: Day Nineteen

WHY ARE STUDENT VOCALISTS SO OBNOXIOUS?? WHY, GODDAMNIT?!?!

I know some of them eventually grow up to be fine human beings. Like Beth, my next door cabin neighbor who owns the beagle/my alarm clock named George. She's the chorus master and a vocal coach for the opera company here. And yet, she is nice and says hello everytime I see her.

On the other hand, there is this little betch diva named Reilly (hereafter: "The Diva"). She is nineteen or twenty years old, definitely not a natural blonde, is perpetually pissed off, is specifically angry at the Dean staff for enforcing such things as the state law regarding age limits regarding alcohol consumption and has inspired in me a summer quest: I have made it my mission this summer to get The Diva to look at me, smile and say hello when I walk by her and do the same. Instead of, you know, strutting right by with a scowl on her face, virtually ignoring my friendly greetings on purpose. As Dan pointed out earlier, she actually has to go out of her way to make an effort to be such a hateful bitch. If I cared more, I might get angry. But instead I'll just play this little game this summer. It'll be fun.

The Diva's male counterpart is another vocalist I have dubbed Yoni the Angry Jew. The first or second day the opera arrived at campus, he requested to Dan and I that we open up French Quarter before lunchtime (instead of after, as was our original plan) since he must eat kosher and cannot eat lunch at the cafeteria. So we obliged him. And then a few days later, the RAs arrived and we needed to utilize French Quarter for 90 minutes one evening for RA training. Just as we were preparing to begin our first meeting, Yoni the Angry Jew came storming in, marched right up to Cale, the Dean of Students, and immediately made it known that he was displeased about the fact that nobody was going to be able to use French Quarter for social purposes for the following precious 90 minutes. When Cale clearly and succinctly shut him up, he asked, "Okay, who can I talk to about this?" Cale replied, "You're not going to speak to anybody about this. Come back at 9pm."

Yoni the Angry Jew also likes to blatantly disregard the very simple and very minor rules that the administrative staff has asked us to maintain. Such as "This is a pedestrian campus. There is no driving to rehearsals, lessons and campus concerts allowed. Because it takes all of ten minutes to walk from one end of campus to another, you nitwit." But Yoni the Angry Jew is apparently above having to use his legs for walking and drives to French Quarter from his cabin. He also drives from French Quarter to rehearsals. Maybe I should make it my Quest #2 to get his license plate number (which we have on file) and bust him for being such a lazy bastard. (And by the way, if I of all people am calling you lazy, you are ONE LAZY MOTHER-EFFER.)

No comments:

Post a Comment